Water loss of swimming pool with and without pool cover

In my earlier post Heat loss of swimming pool with and without pool cover I tried to estimate the heat loss. In this post I test how much water is actually lost in evaporation.

I used Bosch PLR 50 C Digital Laser Measure for measuring the water level. Because the laser cannot actually measure the water level, I used a floating plastic box with some weights to reflect the laser light. It's got Bluetooth interface so you can save the measurements on Android app but I didn't need the feature in this.

Without the pool cover the pool looses water about 1mm/day. I wanted to test with pool cover because I needed to be sure that there isn't any leaks. It's an indoor pool, with ceiling fan constantly blowing out moisture with minimum power.

Without pool cover I tested for 17 days, and the evaporation was quite constant.


In average the pool lost 1,2mm daily and with 2,8x5,7 sized pool that meant loosing 19,5 liters of water daily.

With pool cover I tested for 10 days and the pool only lost 1mm in that time 1mm being to measuring accuracy and minimum change that could be measured. That meant that with pool cover it lost only 1,6 liters daily and about 1/10 of without pool cover. 

The average daily water usage per person in Finland is 155 liters so additional 20 liters is not so much compared to that especially if it's been divided between more people. The bigger problem is the high humidity level in pool room which means in winter that moisture can condensate inside the walls.

Comments

  1. I quess it is worth using the cover since it saves both energy and water and prevents mold. All indoor pool owners should read this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment