Osram Lightify: Color gamut and spectrum


Osram Lightify is a wirelessly controlled lighting system using Zigbee Lightlink open source protocol.  Philips Hue uses the same protocol so these products should work together.

I have a Osram's Starter pack with one RGBW dimmable LED lightbulb (Lightify Classic A RGBW).  I could not find any measurements from internet about Lightify's or Hue's color gamut when I bought Osram so I did the measurements myself.

I simply used the Osram's Android App and did a full circle with hue slider. Then I selected the measurements that were the best representatives for primary colors from gamut corners. For measurements I used Colormunki Phone spectrophotometer and ArgyllCMS software.


Seems Osram can produce fairly deep blue and red but green might be better. The gamut for Philips Hue I picked from AvsForum. The blue line is not a line between measurements. It's a straight line between primary colors I picked and as you can see, the measurements follow that line well. 

The primaries I picked were :

x y
Red 0,683924 0,315904
Green 0,391678 0,501414
Blue 0,13699 0,051035


Here's the spectra for primary colors.


Here are the measurements when I selected 6500K as a color temperature from Android App:
                           CCT = 6377K (Delta E 2.747025)
 Closest Planckian temperature = 6260K (Delta E 2.419812)
 Closest Daylight temperature  = 6422K (Delta E 0.892155)
 Color Rendering Index (Ra) = 87.6
Color Rendering Index is good but could also be better, >90. For Philips Hue the CRI is claimed to be 91.

Comments