FANTEC QB-35US3 (4-bay JBOD external enclosure) + Asus P8P67-M PRO motherboard ( with working eSata Port Multiplier)

I recently bought a 4-disk external enclosure for only JBOD use.


Sold in Germany as : FANTEC QB-35US3 black
Sold in USA as: Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Pro Box
Made in Taiwan by : Hotway HF2-SU3S2

I'm using it with eSata so I need my motherboard to support eSata Port Multiplier. My motherboard is Asus P8P67-M Pro and Asus does not mention anywhere if Port Multiplier is supported which means it's not "supported". That does not mean it does not exist or cannot be used. The Marvel eSata chip in motherboard has a Port Multiplier capability so only way to check if it's working is to try it with Fantec QB-35US3.

In this review
Anandtech: Mediasonic Probox 8-bay eSATA / USB 3.0 DAS review
they tried 8-disk box with Asus motherboard but the tests ended with BSOD when more than two disks were used simultaneously.

I did not use the same testing software Anandtech used. I ran four HDtune's (v.2.55 free version) in parallel to check if I encounter same BSOD's and to measure maximum throughput. Luckily, no BSOD's  and the Port Multiplier is working without any problems.


I started the first drive's Benchmark, then waited until 10% of it, started another, waited it to reach 10% etc. From the results you can see that using two disks simultaneously does not affect performance but when three or four disks are used the maximum throughput is reached and it's around 200-230 MB/sec.

Comments